Monday, March 27, 2006

doldrums

I don't know what it is, but the past few days have found me lethargic and uninterested in much of anything. This is the season when it is neither Winter nor Spring, when it is still not quite nice enough outside to venture out into any extensive outdoor activity. Yet staying inside seems like such a waste of the sunshine out there. I am a decidedly warm weather person, so temps in the 40's don't get me too excited. Still, those warmer temps are an indication that it will soon be pleasant enough for me to take advantage of the outdoors again.

I do feel guilty for not being outside more this past weekend, since it was quite nice out there. Mary, however, was still feeling the effects of the cold she has had for the last two weeks, and didn't have a lot of energy for running around. So I was reasonably content to stay in and spend the extra time in my workshop, while she busied herself cleaning part of the basement.

I did feel, though, that I didn't actually get much done. I feel like I'm running in place. I have 4 different projects going on in the shop right now, and don't seem to be making much progress with any of them. I seem to be caught in a mental slowdown and can't stay focused on any one thing. Thus, the lack of progress on any of the projects. I fear that those things will get less and less attention as the weather gets better and better and I find myself outside tending to the usual springtime chores. So, on the one hand, I feel compelled to work harder and longer in the shop to complete those projects, and on the other hand I don't seem to have the energy or focus to accomplish that.

And then there is the usual work of seasonal preparation at the cottage that will need to be done. Once we start going there on a regular basis, nothing will get done around here. I am thinking of moving much of my workshop up there for the summer, now that we have the new garage and plenty of room for it. Mary has already placed an order with me for a couple of tables and lamps she wants there. So I figured it would make sense to move the workshop there since we spend most of the summer there anyway. That way, between golfing, kayaking, golfing, bicycling, golfing, reading, golfing, happy houring with the neighbors, and more golfing, I can work a little bit there and feel like I am doing something useful.

I know, all this sounds like a lot of useless and unnecessary whining about nothing of consequence. But, hey, it's my life and I'll whine if I want to. Now I think I'll go take a nap.

No comments: