Monday, May 01, 2006

green and getting greener

Spring has arrived with all its usual drama. Wild flucuations in temperature and abundant precipitatioin are the order of the day. Now that it is the first of May, April showers have already given way to the greener landscape we all associate with full fledged springtime.

Yesterday we were treated to an all day rain, one of those springtime showers that goes on and on, one gray cloud after another. Consequently, today, even though it is still cloudy and threatening more rain, you can see the grass growing. Actually, I think you can even HEAR it growing. All that rain and the generous supply of fertilizer I applied a few weeks ago
has the grass nearly exploding out of the ground. If we get a day of sunshine anytime soon, the grass will make a determined effort to take over the world.

I know, that sounds like a complaint. I really do love the vibrant green that the grass displays at this time of year. It is probably part imagination and part reality after the long drab winter that makes it seem so pleasing. And I have no right to complain since I have aided and abetted that green growth by spreading some of those chemical boosters championed by Mr. Scotts and his ilk. But with current gas prices hovering at the precipice of the $3.00 cliff, my enthusiasm for springtime grass growth is tempered somewhat by the realization that the lawnmower uses an inordinant amount of that costly fuel. I would prefer to cut the stuff once a week instead of every three days.

The other part of springtime growth that always gets my head thinking good thoughts is the new shoots of Hostas and Daylillies that emerge into the new season. The Daylillies have a strong start already with some leaves knee high. But most of the Hostas are still tentative and unsure if it is safe to show their heads just yet. Some varieties are earlier starters than others, but even they seem reluctant to test the air. Then all of a sudden one day they will be in full leafy regalia, having snuck up on us once again.

The Tulips and Daffodils have come and gone already, with a few stragglers still in bloom. All the bushes and trees are bursting with buds and cute little leaves that are in the toddler stage right now, but they, too, will suddenly mature and show fulll grown adult leaves in just a few more days. Most of the plants always seem to be in a rush to get here only to trudge through the doldrums of a hot and often dry summer. Don't they know they are supposed to slow down and stop to smell lthe roses?

One of the good things we have going for us is that, with our cottage a couple hours north of here, if we miss a bit of the reawakening here, the springtime growth there is delayed by a week or two, giving us a second chance at delight. Of course, that also means we have twice as much grass to cut. But a bit of extra work is worth the sacrfice for the reward that we get.

Did you just hear that? I could swear I just heard the grass calling me with a plaintive cry of "cut me, cut me." How can I not answer the call? The smell of newly mowed grass is one of the greatest treats available to us. I plan to overinduldge.

No comments: