Monday, November 27, 2006

Friday

(I wrote this on my laptop while at the cottage, but was unable to post it since we have no internet connectioin there. Better late than never.)

Here it us the day after Thanksgiving. This is the first time I have ever heard this day referred it as Black Friday. Is that something new? Why is it called that? What is the derivation of the term? Why haven’t I ever heard that before? Have I just not been paying attention? Am I that out of touch? This is really bothering me.

Thanksgiving day was the usual. I spent the afternoon cooking and watching football. I am the designated cook in the family. Mary has no interest in cooking anything and consequently has no talent for it. I, on the other hand, like to cook,, so it all works out. Jon and Katie arrived around five after spending the afternoon at her folks where they ate the usual turkey dinner at lunch time. I offered to cook something other than turkey for dinner, but Jonathan is a strict traditionalist and insisted that we have turkey or nothing. The guy loves his turkey. How he can eat that much—two turkey dinners separated by only about 4 hours—is a mystery to me. Of course, when he was growing up we had to feed him at least 6 times a day, plus the occasional snack, to keep him functional. I am not all that fond of turkey, so I was more than happy to send Jon home with all the leftovers.

Today Mary and I arrived here at the lake for a couple days of R&R, It was a beautiful day. The temperature was in the high 50’s with sunshine and no wind. The best Fall day of the year. We spent the afternoon outside raking and blowing the last of the leaves and just generally putzing around outside to enjoy the weather. Mary then started a bonfire and sat outside watching the sunset, while I took a much needed nap. I whipped up some dinner after my nap and now here I sit playing on my laptop. If all this sounds routine and hohum, that is exactly what it is. And I am perfectly content with that.

No comments: