Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas hope

We had the pleasant experience yesterday of meeting some new friends and enjoying the company of old friends at a Christmas party/engagemant party for our son Jonathan's good friend Dominic and his fiance, Marie, at Dominic's mother's home. Dominic and Jon have been friends since they were 5 years old. Now that they are both 25, their friendship is deeply embedded in our families.

The party was notable for several reasons--the chance to meet Marie's parents, the opportunity to reconnect with people we haven't seen for a long time, and the chance to put faces to the names of Jon's and Dominic's friends we hadn't met before. But the best feeling I took away from that gathering was the notion that our future as a society is in good and capable hands.

As I wandered around the party, observing quietly at times, and joining in some spirited conversation at other times, I was struck by the enormous potential the next generation has. At one point four of the young men at the party were clustered comfortably in a corner of the kitchen, quietly discussing something that held all their attention. I don't know what the topic was--I stayed away so as not to intrude--but I was entranced at the brain power assembled. In that group there was a Doctor, a CPA, a Physicist, and an Actuary, all young men of 25 years, still working toward realizing their potential despite their already heady accomplishments. The number of college degrees and advanced degrees earned just in that small group would have made any graduating class proud. At that moment I felt much more optimistic about the future of our society seeing the cluster of representatives that will be taking over for us.

What better Christmas present could any of us hope for? Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

Phil said...

Happy Holidays to you and yours Bob!

G-Man said...

Merry Christmas Bob!!

Kat Campbell said...

There is no better present than that Bob. I get an opportunity to do that from time to time, watch the next generation mingling with their peers. Its comforting and exciting.

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Isn't it amazing what energy and potential they have? I, too, am always impressed by the things young people talk about. My older son and his friends have a discussion chat room. They take turns posting questions on everything from abortion to the war and global warming and discuss.
My older son's college acceptance came on Tuesday and I am excited to see where he goes from here!

Gary said...

I am still optimistic about the future, even though the challenges we will face as a nation are very different from the ones we have faced in the past. And I think the challenges are tough ones.

Hope you have a happy new year.