Wednesday, December 13, 2006

from the workshop/studio

Here's a little something that I recently finished. It's a vase made up up of various pieces of wood scraps in the shop left over from different projects.


Each side of the vase is different.


The piece is small, standing only about 6" high by 4" on one side and 5" on the other.


The woods used are Oak, Pine, Maple, and Redwood in various sizes, laminated into a solid block from which the finished piece emerged.


The colors are all natural, no stains were used. The finish is hand rubbed oil, 6 coats.

This the first in a series of vases that I have planned as a way to use all those scraps lying around the shop. I can't bear to throw anything away, so you can imagine the mounds of leftover materials I have to work with. If I were to use those scraps for vases until they were all gone, I would probably have thousand finished pieces. Obviously that isn't going to happen, but I will have at least three more vases in the series. Those three are already started and in various stages of completion. I will post them here when they are ready.

In the meantime, look for pictures tomorrow of a sculpture I just finished. And there is another cane nearly completed to add to that collection that I'm just about ready to share with you. I'm not just about vases, you know.

2 comments:

Kat Campbell said...

This is so interesting and beautiful, Bob! I love wood, I can't wait to see your sculpture.

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

It's beautiful! A work of art! How wonderful to be able to create such things with your own hands.
How are you and Mary doing in the aftermath of the accident?