Saturday, December 09, 2006

not the way we wanted to spend our day

Several times a year we like to get together with our friends, Stu and Mary, half way between our homes, a thirty mile ride for eacb of us. Today was one of those days. Unfortunately, we never made it to our lunch.

The roads to the little town we meet in are the two lane county road type. Nothing particularly hazardess about them other than the occasional stop sign at a crossroad. It was at one of those crossroads that our lunch plans changed. I was driving, Mary in the passenger seat, heading east as we approached the intersection. We had the right of way with no stop sign. The driver heading north stopped at her stop sign, but didn'r bother to look both ways as they teach you from the first day you can understand the concept of "both ways. " She pulled out right in front of us. I slammed on the brakes, but it was too late. We smashed into her rear panel, swung her around and deposited her in the ditch on the north side of the intersection. The damage to her car was minimal. The damage to our car was total. The whole front end of our Solara was destroyed. The car is a total loss. Airbags and seatbelts saved our lives. Thankfully we were only moving about 30-35 mph when it happened. Still, at that speed the damage is remarkable. Mary suffered some facial cuts when the airback hit and broke her glasses. I was unscathed, but the shock of the accident triggered a severe Parkinsons response with left me tembling so severely that I could barely function. The emergency response was quick and thorough. Both Mary and I were ambulanced to the nearest hospital to be checked over and declared among the living. It took a couple hours of sedative dripping into my arm in the emergency room to get me to stop shaking enough to be released. Son Jonathan was there to get us home, bless his heaart.

We sit here at home now wondering what happens next, licking our wounds both physical and emotional. At some point I expect an aftershock to hit when we finally realize that we might have been severely injured or even killed. That'll make you think..........

5 comments:

Gary said...

Maybe you should count not being seriously hurt as the best Christmas present you will get this year. I'm glad you're ok.

Bud said...

I'm so glad you made it through that mishap, Bob and Mary! These things tend to change your life. Sounds like you're already contemplating that.

Kelley said...

I am just glad that it wasn't worse than it was, and I hope the driver at fault has insurance to pay for your damages...

My husband and I saw two fatal (we can only assume, judging by the damage to the cars) accidents this past Thanksgiving; one on the drive up, and another on the return drive. It is the most unsettling thought, knowing that someone else was traveling the very same road only minutes before you, and now they've lost their life.

I hope you and your wife are recovering, physically and emotionally.

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

I am so sorry this happened to you all. It is scary and you will feel that for awhile. Take good care of each other, don't push to accomplish great things and be very gentle with yourselves. Call your insurance company and an attorney and let them do the worrying from here on out!

Kat Campbell said...

I'm so glad you're both alright! Be careful that you don't settle any insurance claims until you're sure there wasn't any damage done that shows up after the initial shock. Rest!