Tuesday, December 12, 2006

update

Since our accident last Saturday it seems that everything we have done for three days relates to that accident. We contacted an attorney, saw our family doctor, and talked on the phone constantly.

Mary was hurt more than I and I feel terrible about that. The airbag struck her face and smashed her glasses against her face leaving an impression around her eyes that turned many shades of awful and cut her cheekbones and brows. Our doctor feels that she probably suffered a mild concussion which would aaccount for her headaches. The opthomologist that she saw today to check her eyes, which were blurring a bit and hurting, assured her that she did not suffer a detached retina and that the discomfort was caused by swelling. He gave her some eyedrops which helped immediately. He said that the fact that she was wearing glasses most l ikely saved her from more serious eye injury from rhe airbag. Our famiy doctor has forbidden her to return to work until next week because of the concusssion. She needs to rest more than anything. But getting her to actually just sit down and do nothing but relax is impossible.

My aches and pains surfaced the next day after the adrenaline dissipated. Now my back and neck hurt, but nothing that a bit of physical therapy and fistsful of Advil won't take care of. I feel like I was used as a punching bag. It's funny how at the time of the accident I felt ok physically except for the extreme shaking response to shock. But apparently I was so tense while trying to gain control of myself that I essentially sprained and strained those muscles. Now I'm paying for that.

We went today to the towing company's storage lot to take pictures of the wreck and to empty the car of all our stuff. You know the stuff that accumulates in the trunk and the various compartments in the car: blankets and stadium seats for football games in the trunk, maps and papers and notes and coins and umbrellas and snow scrapers and any number of other treasures scattered around. We filled a couple shopping bags with stuff. And we are fairly neat people without a lot of extraneous stuff generally littered around our lives. It was kind of embarrassing how much detritus we had.

And yes, it was somewhat diffucult to see the smashed car. The sad part is that the interior was perfectly spotless and clean. Sitting in it you could almost imagine starting it up and driving away. But one look at the front end and you knew that car was not going anywhere again under its own power. Damn, I really liked that car, too. What a waste.

Thank you all who took the time to leave a comment and some kind words of encouragement here. That means a lot and I am grateful for your concern. It's nice to know that there are friends out there that, even though we have never met except here in the blog world, care about us and wish us well.

Now all we can do is wait for the attorney to hash it out with the insurance companies. It's all in his hands so that we don't have to deal with the details and hassles of settling the claims. Hopefully it will all be taken care of without too much trouble and we can put this nasty episode behind us. I won't mention it again.

4 comments:

Bud said...

I'm really glad neither of yo were seriously injured. The rest of it is a much bigger pain in the ass in this case now. I really hate this part of it. Down here it's a common ocurence to get banged into by some 90 year old. I spent a week in a rental car for the last time that happened. It's only a matter of time before the next one happens. Time to do some serious car shopping, Bob.

Kat Campbell said...

I'm glad you updated, I'd been thinking of the aftermath of your accident. My daughter was hit by dump truck this summer and is still having trouble with her back. I hope you get a new car you like just as well!

Sunflower Optimism said...

Wow, what an ordeal you described here and last post. Glad all is well, with only minor physical injuries.

A friend's daughter and four friends were recently broadsided by a drunk driver. The police officer arriving on the scene first was sure all occupants were dead. They had to cut some of the kids out of the car, but all escaped with minor injuries also. I also pray for some accident victims I know who were not so fortunate.

The wounds physical and otherwise, will heal, the car wreck and resulting paperwork is a major annoyance (especially when it's NOT your fault!) - but to be alive to tell the tale, that's the important thing. Hope all is back to normal, soon. . . and I do believe Stu and Mary now owe YOU a visit!
-------------------------------------

As an aside, I do not have blogger beta flavor and was not able to sign in here for several days under my normal blogger ID. In order to comment I had to sign up for a google account, which was probably their ultimate goal. Grrrrr!

Wiccachicky said...

I'm glad to hear you are both okay - I have been trying to leave comments but blogger has been acting up.