Sunday, January 07, 2007

it's drying time

I received a food dehydrater as a Christmas gift from my son. I know, that sounds like a wierd present for a son to give his father, but Jonathan knows me well. I'm the cook in the family and love kitchen gadgets and gizmos that help to keep the task of food prep interesting as well as more efficient. Not only that, I also like to eat a reasonably healthy diet, so the dehydrater fits my requirements on more than one front.

So far I've only tried drying bananas and apples and pears. The results were excellent. I sprinkled some cinnamon on the slices of fruit during the drying process and the end result was like eating candy. Healthy candy. Good stuff. Now I'm looking around the kitchen for other stuff to dry out and chomp on. Vegetables are the next on the list. Then I want to try some beef jerky. And the cat better stay out of reach.......

3 comments:

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

A food dehydrator??? Aren't you brave, but it sounds like you are having good healthy fun with it - kitty jerky though? Yuck.

Bud said...

Bob, Good deal! Cathy makes those fruit rollups with the dehydrator and these amazing flax seed crackers. She's taken several courses on raw foods and has a lot of recipes, if you're interested.

Sunflower Optimism said...

Oh, I always wanted one of those. Every time I look at them in the store my husband gives me the evil eye. Yes, sadly, I am a kitchen gadget junkie. The cupboards are stuffed with them.