Thursday, March 15, 2007

backyard visitors

Every Spring when the snow finally all melts, the backyard temporarily becomes a pond. And every Spring that pond attracts a pair of ducks who just can't resist stopping by to take advantage of the congenial surroundings.

Though we and all our neighborss have dogs who raise a ruckus whenever they see those two ducks, the ducks must know that they aren't in any danger. They pay no attention to the yapping dogs, but simply continue plopping around in the cold water. At its deepest the water is barely deep enough to float a duck, but that doesn't seem to bother them. They will hang around for a few days until the water seeps away into the ground, and then we won't see Mr. and Mrs. Mallard until next year at this time.

The arrival of the ducks is a sure harbinger of Spring around here. That and the newly ermerging green shoots of the Daffodils and Daylillies mean that soon I'll be shedding my coat and getting ready to cut some grass. The golf course is calling my name. I can hardly wait.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Aw, hello ducks. I wait for the geese also. I love to be out walking and just see them poking around as if they run the whole place. Maybe they do.

Wiccachicky said...

Look at those ducks!! We have some that just showed up on the river near by. I just love spring...if it would only stop raining. :)

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

How lovely to have your own personal spring greeting from the universe! What a sign of hope (as I write we are recovering from a snow and ice storm Friday and today!)