Monday, March 05, 2007

I could, and so I did

Did you ever do something simply because you could? I had a chance to, and so I did.

A little while ago, while I was finishing carving the flowers and leaves for the recent Wood Vase series (pictures of which I posted here last week), I took a break from that work and started tidying up the shop. I found a piece of 1/2" Maple that I had stashed in a corner and as I picked it up and felt its smoothness, I felt I had to do something with it. I thought, "I think I'll make a box." And so I did.

I had no particular need for a box. I had nothing that needed to be contained in a box. I had no plans for what to do with the box once I made it. But that piece of Maple just cried out, "Make me into a box." And so I did.

While cutting that piece of Maple into the pieces I had determined I needed for the the new box, I spied a small remnant of Teak that had been languishing on the workbench for longer than it should have been left there unused and forlorn, wanting a reason for being. I thought, "I can use this Teak to highlight the Maple box with inlays of darker wood." And so I did.

The resulting little box was a happy combination of species, 8" long by 3" wide by 3" deep, with no greater purpose than to be. I had no illusions of it being more than a pleasing sillouette sitting atop my desk. That it might hold treasures more valuable than pens and paperclips was far from my imagining. So when I brought it up out of the shop and into the light, I thought, "I will just set it here atop my desk and see what it's fate might be." And so I did.

As fate would have it, Mary was sitting at the desk when the little box arrived and she immediately adopted it as her own. She thanked me for it and asked if I would allow her to take it away to serve her in a higher capacity. And so I did.

That modest little box is now the repository for jewels of untold richness. Chains and baubles of gold and silver rest comfortably secure under its cover of Maple and Teak.

That smooth and shiny little box of great and noble purpose came into being simply because I could. And so I did.


6 comments:

Bud said...

Man, I love that, Bob! That is gorgeous!

Wiccachicky said...

That's really cool! What are the dimensions? It seems like it would be nice to hold sweaters or something, but I'm not sure it's that big.

Kat said...

The box is beautiful! Good advice to do things just because you can.

Jay said...

How amazing to make such beautiful things with your hands. It doesn't just hold treasures, it is a treasure.

Cheesy said...

Oh man next time a piece of wood calls your name??.. I could really use a box!
hehe it's lovely kiddo!

Anonymous said...

My fake jewelry looks so elegant in the beautrifully hand made box. Mary