Wednesday, March 07, 2007

seduced again

Once more I have been seduced by technlogy. Insane promises about what marvels await me suckered me into HD-DVR cable service. Now I'll be able to do all manner of wonderful things to all the television shows I never watch anyway. And all in HD.

The cable guy showed up today (and at the assigned time no less) toting the latest magic box that he attached with such elan and alacrity that it made me nearly weep at my own inadeqaucy. He was totally undaunted by the spaghetti tangle of cables and wires that inhabit the back of the cabinet. And he did it all by feel, eschewing my offer to hold the flashlight so he could see what he was doing.

The appropriate connections completed, he then blathered his way through quick tutorial on the functions of the remote that most ten-year-olds would have had no problem understanding, but which left me reeling, smoke spewing from all my available orifices. Unable to formulate an intelligent question about how this all really works, I just nodded and mumbled something that made him believe I knew what he was talking about. He finally finished and packed up his bag of magic tricks and voodoo dolls. I was crumpled on the floor in a fetal position, drooling and whimpering before his truck made it out of the driveway.

Now I await the arrival of my 25 year old son who will hopefully gently guide me through this techno labyrinth. My hope is that he will leave me somewhat competant by the time he finishes explaining all those fancy buttons.

I have to remember that all those blinking lights and cute buttons are just part of a machine and that I am better than a machine. I am smart. I am competant. I am capable. I am better than a machine. I can do this. I am better............

7 comments:

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

I am dreading my son heading off to college in the fall because he is the only memeber of the household who can work all the buttons!

Philip said...

It's so easy!

Just focus on the channel up and down button - set the volume where you like it - and have fun. When you find the high-def channels, just set it to Discovery Channel HD and relax.

I love the 30 minute daily sunrise program. Best show on tv.

Jay said...

Well, you've embraced the future....now you just have to wait for it to hug you back.

Anonymous said...

Just remember that "user-friendly" is an oxymoron when applied to technology. I'm not sure how much work I would get done if we didn't have IT support to chuck out non-functional machines, smack viruses, install stuff and so on. On the other hand, if you had to line up a bunch of actors and find a director and a play, guess that could be a lot of work, too : - )

Karen said...

Ah Bob but could he make a box like on your last post. I can't do woodwork or tune a tv

Michael Manning said...

I have the cable people coming Tuesday. But you haven't lived until you've visited a Bose store where they give you the full demo and pull away a glob of wires from the floor! Wireless!!

Great post!

Wiccachicky said...

lol - yeah, my partner is always fixing the technology for all our friends and family. It's gotten quite complicated these days!