Friday, April 20, 2007

another one

Here is the latest cane to emerge from the workshop. This one was inspired by something similar I saw on a television program a while back. The handle is carved oak.

The shaft is a fluted spiral of oak. It is a bit difficult to see in the picture. Hey, I'm a woodworker, not a photographer.

The finish is natural except for the darker stained areas that are carved out. I did that to emphasize the carving.

It looks heavy but is quite nicely balanced so it doesn't feel heavy.

I like the way this one turned out, so I think I will explore other carved handles for the next cane as well. I'm thinking maybe some kind of gargoyle for a handle. My mind is sorting out the possibilities even as we speak.

The other canes I've made and some other wood sculptures can be viewed if you like by clicking on the myflickr link at the right. Then select the sculpture set.

3 comments:

Wiccachicky said...

Neat! Really cool. You should really think about starting a little business with all these goodies!

Kim said...

How incredibly satisfying it must be to have something so beautiful made by your own two hands! I envy you Bob.

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

You make such lovely things and you really bring out the beauty of the wood. I echo Kim.