Tuesday, April 03, 2007

random

While wandering around the workshop trying to focus on doing something constructive, meaningful, satisfying, my mind was also wandering off in random directions without a map or any particular destination. I guess that’s what they mean when they talk about random thoughts. Who are “they” anyway. But back to those random thoughts.

It occurred to me that there is a short hop from avocation to compulsion. I find myself at times compelled by an unknown force to at least spend time in the workshop, whether I accomplish anything or not. I just have to be there surrounded by my “stuff.”

Why is it that fundamentalist Christians always want to talk about their religious views. but don’t want to hear about anyone else’s? Or why do some Muslims feel that murder, terrorism and hatred are allowed in the Koran? Are there as many pedophiles among Protestant ministers as there seem to be among Catholic priests? Or is it just the publicity that makes it seem so?

What is the real purpose of Daylight Saving Time? And are we actually saving that daylight for use some other time? Are we getting caught up with or falling behind actual time? What is time anyway? When we see something bad happening, why can’t we just call a time out and avoid the peril?

Has anythng constructive, other than the US Constitution, ever come out of a meeting? The next time you are called into a meeting, call a time out and avoid the peril.

What’s the big deal with birthdays? So you were born. Big freakin deal. Most of us are born, live our lives, and die without leaving much of a trace. So what’s to celebrate?

Shoudn’t “Dancing with the Stars” be called “Dancing with the C Listers” or “Dancing with the B List Wannabes”?

Is it because Jack Bauer is on our side that he is not called a terrorist?

Why is it that whenever I am in a hurry to get somewhere all the traffic lights are red, everyone else seems to be going to the same place I’m headed, and all the 300 car freight trains choose just then to creep along past the crossing?

Why do otherwise normally intelligent people jump out of airplanes, climb mountains, refuse to acknowledge global warming, deepsea dive, claim to see UFO’s, bungee jump, vote for idiots, eat shellfish, BASE jump, believe in the supernatural, ride a motorcycle without wearing a helmet, smoke anything, listen to rap, use cell phones in public places, talk rudely to waiters, drink and drive, cheat on their taxes, hang paintings on velvet in their homes, hurt a child, live in cities below sea level, try to speed fast enough to beat the train to the crossing, drive Hummers, keep snakes as pets... the list goes on and on. Feel free to add your own questions to the litany here.

I think now I will ljust randomly stop.

1 comment:

insanity-suits-me said...

I love your random thoughts! They are much like my own. Love the blog!