Wednesday, May 23, 2007

mountains

I had lunch today with my friend, Rich, and as usual the conversation was free ranging and uninterrupted. We managed a few good laughs between tackling the serious problems of the world.

As is our want, we lamented at one point the state of the world in general, and mused that if every individual endeavored to do something positive to reshape our world, the overall effect would be a tremendous accumulation of good. We posited that as individuals we are often overwhelmed by the daunting tasks that confront us in our efforts to change the world, but that an accumulation of individual efforts would move mountains.

It’s true that as individuals when we stand at the foot of that mountain of need, the task of climbing that mountain may seem overly arduous and nearly impossible. But as the saying goes, “every journey begins with one step.” So if we all begin that journey up the mountain with that first step, each succeeding step becomes easier to take, especially if we trudge up that mountain hand in hand with others making the same climbing effort. We all can make a difference even with our meager individual efforts, if we join hands and help each other over the obstacles in our way.

And while it is easy to give up, looking toward the summit that seems so far away, our continuing climb will eventually bring the results we want. Banishing war, famine, disease, and genocide may be very high mountains, but they are not impossible to climb. All it takes is that first step. And then a second and third and fourth until we no longer have to count the steps, but simply continue up that mountain until we conquer it.

So, come on, people, choose a mountain and start climbing. I’ll be happy to hold your hand along the way.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

narcissist much?

Anonymous said...

complete and total tool.

Crystal said...

Bob, I'm so sorry. I wrote that after a knee jerk reaction to your comments (I get hurt very easily) and then never posted it because I took the time to read over here and think about it and I realized that you meant no harm.

Last night, I was just looking for something funny to post and that particular one made me giggle for some reason. There's no link to your blog so I thought no harm would come of it. How short sighted of me.

My sincerest apologies to you. I truly meant no harm (and I will post this on my own blog, as well).

geek said...

I also apologize, Once again jumped before fully investigating. I will learn from this...

Anonymous said...

You are quite understanding man Bob.

Like you blog alot by the way :)

Nicole

Bud said...

Well, I vote and I donate. That's the best I can do as far as the big picture goes. Spreading love and kindness one person at a time is the other activity I'm involved in. I think that's all that is reasonable. Running for office is by definition corrupt

Anonymous said...

You are right about the way men are depicted in the media. (I read your comment on Crystals blog.)