Thursday, May 31, 2007

what to do

There is just too much to do. Have you ever been faced with an overwhelming list of chores, maintenance, want-to-do things and have-to-do things? Trying to do everything that needs to be done, or that doesn’t need to be done, but that I want to do, is driving me nuts.

Understand that I am retired and that I have all day everyday to do all those things I’m complaining about. It’s just that when I am faced with so many choices about how to spend those days, I invariably end up doing little of anything. I can procrastinate with the best of them. I look at the things I have to do and figure there’s always time tomorrow for what I don’t get done today.

None of the tasks I’m talking about are urgent. I’m talking about routine, everyday stuff like yard work and housework. There is the occasional fix-it job that Mary insists I do now rather than later, but even those jobs are easily put off. None of this stuff is unpleasant or particularly difficult. Maybe that’s the problem. I need a challenge instead of a routine.

Adding to the problem of procrastination is the somewhat limited energy that PD allows me. I have to husband my energy and pace myself, knowing that after a couple hours of activity, I will need to give in and rest. Maybe even take a nap so that I can stay a bit more active into the evening. It’s those two or three hours a day when I can be productive that I’m talking about filling with all those chores.

The weather at this time of year adds to my indecision about how to spend my day. When it is nice outside I want to be out there enjoying it, so I try to do yard work or anything else that will keep me occupied outdoors. That means that the inside stuff gets shoved aside for the time being. Sometimes I hope for a rainy day just so that I can spend my time in the workshop without feeling guilty about not being outside. I have several sculpture projects in the shop that have been in various stages of completion for months now simply because being outdoors is more compelling.

I can just hear all you who work at your jobs all day and then come home and do all the household chores and yard chores and children chores cursing my whining. And you are right. I am whining. I should go and get busy now. Right after my nap.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is perfectly ok for you to whine as I am sure you put in your dues with the work house & kids yourself. I look forward to years from now being retired and being able to do the same thing :)

Nicole

Anonymous said...

it is perfectly ok for you to whine as I am sure you put in your dues with the work house & kids yourself. I look forward to years from now being retired and being able to do the same thing :)

Nicole

Pamela said...

I've been hooked by blogging... so I come home from work and the house is getting dirtier and dirtier.... and I'm ignoring it

Kat said...

Well great. I was just dreaming about my future retirement and how I'll finally have time to get everything done...way to go busting my bubble Bob!

Bud said...

I hear you, Bob. I've never been busier than I am now in retirement.