Friday, June 08, 2007

fine isn't fine unless it's FIIIIINE

"How do I look?"
"Fine."
"What do mean, fine?"
"I mean you look just fine."
"Just fine? You mean I look just acceptable? Tolerable? Ok?"
"No, I mean you look terrific. As usual."
"You didn't say it like that. You said I just look fine."
"How else am I supposed to say it?
"You could say it like you mean it."
"I see. What I say isn't as important as how I say it. Right"
"Well, it would help if you put a little feeling into it."
"Ok. How about this. You look FIIIINE. You so FIIIINE."
"Now you're just making fun of me."
"Fine. Have it your way."
"Fine."

Guess which part I played in this conversation. The doctor says I'll be fine, thank you.

3 comments:

Kat said...

I've had a few of these conversations, Pap never got it either. *giggling for the rest of the morning*

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

You didn't learn after the "fat" conversation? How long have you been married now?

BobCiz said...

Kat, it must be a guy thing. We just use words differently.

Kate, ok after 38 years I am the definitiion of "slow learner." Or maybe I just relish the confrontations.