Monday, June 18, 2007

special days

Father’s Day

I never get too excited about these so-called special days, you know, Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, anniversaries of various happenings, birthdays, and those Hallmark holidays. They never quite live up to expectations when you expect them to be special. That’s why when they turn out to be surprisingly nice, they are so much more memorable.

Yesterday is a case in point. Father’s Day is not a big deal for me. Everyday that I think about my two wonderful children is a celebration. That they think enough of me to call me and wish me a happy day, is more than enough celebration for me. Since Mary and I are here at the cottage, I did not see either of the kids yesterday. But Jon called me twice just to talk. That was very nice. And Carrie made a huge effort to call and wish me a happy Father’s Day. Hers was a huge effort because she is in Etosha, Namibia, Africa right now doing something with big man-eating animals and phone service there is not what you might call convenient or cheap. So I feel really special because they both made an effort to connect with me yesterday. I couldn't ask for more.

4 comments:

Kat said...

Happy belated Father's Day, Bob, you have great kids! What an exciting job your daughter has.

Pamela said...

man eating animals... oh my!!

Bud said...

Yup, Bob, that's what makes the day. Presents are pretty needless at our age, huh. I was lucky enough to spend a lot of time with my daughter last week between recording sessions in NY. My son called and broadcast live video on iChat so I could see him and my granddaughter, I also got calls and e-mails from a lot of former students. That's pretty damn sweet. I'm glad you had a lot of that coming at you too.

The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Belated happy father's day greetings. You have great children which says they must have had great parents! And your daughter is fearless!