Tuesday, December 18, 2007

tis the season

Ok, sure, this is the time of year that is supposed to bring tidings of joy and good cheer. We are supposed to be stuffed with happy feelings like a stocking stuffed on Christmas eve. But, realistically, this time of year is one of the more difficult times to cope with.

The property tax bills are due. Gasoline prices are through the roof. The continuous snowfall over the past three weeks has made getting around problematic. Finding the right gifts for those still on the list is always a challenge, not to mention the financial burden that forced gift giving brings. It seems like every subscription to every publication and organization comes due at this time of year, too, adding to the cash outflow.

And those are just the domestic problems that are somewhat under our control. I don’t even want to have to think about the chaos in the world, the wars and genocide, the poverty and starvation, the rampant disease and overpopulation, the raping of the environment and global warming. Add to the mix an election year that brings out the boldly ambitious, power hungry, sound bite spewing politicians vying for our attention and I find myself wanting to bury my head in the snowdrift outside my window until Spring and its promise of renewal rolls around.

So forgive me if I’m not quit into the holiday spirit of joy and goodwill toward men. Despite the decorations and twinkling lights that are meant to lift our spirits at this time of year, I find myself in a struggle to keep the lights plugged in and turned on. The glow is diminished and the decorations seem a little tawdry right now. Somewhere along the way, the true meaning of Christmas has been hijacked by the chaos in the world at large and the immediate world around us.

No comments: