Wednesday, January 09, 2008

it just happened

Oftentimes, when dawdling in the workshop between projects, I will pick up a scrap or two and place them together on a pile and then start searching through the leftovers scattered about to find similar pieces that just might lend themselves to "something." As the pile grows, those scraps and leftovers begin to take on a life of their own. I sometimes feel like the wood is grabbing my hand and guiding me along to where it wants to be. So I follow along, shaping, sanding, glueing, as the wood evolves into whatever its final form will be. I am always amazed at the way it turns out. That fascination is what keeps me going.

Here is an example of just what can happen when I let myself be guided by the material.

It reminds me of a Yucca or some kind of desert dwelling spiky plant. It just sort of happened.

The wood is mostly oak and it stands about 36" high.

1 comment:

Kat said...

That's beautiful Bob! I love all the levels, in person the wood grain must be amazing.