Wednesday, July 02, 2008

summertime blogger blues

I’ve been a bad blogger lately. I have been neglecting my blogger responsibilities. I have a million excuses for doing so, but the only real reason is laziness. And golf. And happy hour. And wonderful summer days that insist I be outside away from the computer.

Summers are like that. We endure the cold hard winters around here thinking and hoping for the warmth of summer, so when it finally arrives, we would be crazy not to take advantage of it. So instead of spending hours in my workshop, hours reading and writing, hours cocooned inside, I am outside reveling in the best of all seasons. I even like cutting the grass, which has been growing with a vengeance lately due to the exorbitant amount of water that has been falling from the sky. So blame my blogging negligence on the rain and growing grass. That’s as good a place to lay the blame as any.

Another reason for my dereliction of blogging duty is the fact that internet access is difficult to come by here at the lake. Our cottage does not have all the requisite electronic accoutrements to be part of the 21st century. Yes we have running water and indoor plumbing. We even have heat and air conditioning. We have television and radio. We have kayaks, a sailboat, a canoe, and bicycles. But we don’t have internet access. So call us primitive if you must and look for the smoke signals I will send from our next bonfire. And then when I finally get the time to run into town and seek out my corner in the local library where I can make use of their wifi to connect electronically with the outside world, you will know that I am still alive and kicking.

Until then, just assume that I am taking full advantage of the summer freedom to wander through the outdoors, chasing golf balls, paddling the kayak, riding my bicycle, and, yes, cutting the grass. Winter will return soon enough. I refuse to squander the summer with indoor activities. Unless it’s raining. Like today. That’s why I am here in the library and why I have time to write this.

The clouds are clearing. The sun is peeking through. Bye for now.

No comments: