Thursday, November 13, 2008

getting caught up

It has been sometime since I've shown pictures of the sculptures and canes and other stuff that I've completed over the past few months. So I'll get you caught up on the output of the workshop now since I know you have just been dying of curiosity to see what I've been up to.

First in line is this little vase that is made from a bunch of scraps that accumulated on the workbench. It is a variety of woods and stands 13" high and is 1.5" square.



Next a couple of canes. This one is called Striped cane. The shaft is maple and walnut and the handle is striped with maple, walnut, and purpleheart.



This one is called Spiral cane because the pieces of mahogany, maple and oak form a spiral down the shaft. The unique handle is oak and maple.



Now a couple sculptures. These two pieces took a long time to complete since they are fairly complicated in structure. But the effort and patience paid off.
This is called Unraveled. It is several strands that twist and tumble into a jumble. It stands 28" high and is made from several hundred pieces of pine that were glued together to create the strands.



This piece is called Whirlwind. It is made from nearly a thousand pieces that swirl round a central shaft. It has a real kinetic energy to it. It stands 36" high and mostly oak and pine.



And that does it for now. All caught up. Now I can concentrate on the three new wall sculptures that I have started and a new cane that is nearing completion. I will post those pictures in due time. If you want to see more of my work go here. Thanks for looking.