Friday, December 12, 2008

boxes

I've been on a box kick lately. I just love the endless design possibilities that the simple concept of a box provides. So I am exploring some of those possibilities.
This first box is actually a box in a box. It is made of oak, maple, walnut, and pine pieces that were glued up into usable stock that was then cut up into the pieces that make up the box.

The larger box is 9" long x 5" wide x 3.5" deep with a lid that lifts off.

The smaller box inside is 5" x 4.75" x 2"

I suppose the logical use for such a box is to hold bits of jewelry. I know that because Mary has already apppropriated it for just that purpose.

This little box is made from the same glued up stock that the last one was made with. It is 8" long x 3.5" wide x 4" high. The top lifts off.


This one is again using the same glued up stock as the others. This time the top pivots open in two directions. It is 8" long x 3" wide x 3.5" deep.



I still have more of the same stock left --enough for one more box which is nearing completion on the workbench right now.
I'll have pictures of that one soon along with a couple other little ones that I can't show you now because they are meant as Christmas presents. All in due time.

No comments: