Wednesday, December 17, 2008

winter forecast

This just in from the front page of the local paper: yesterday we had nearly 5" of snow, with up to 12" expected for Thursday/ Friday, then Saturday comes along with another possible 4" followed by an anticipated 5" on Sunday. And next week even more is on the way. Yeah, I get that people like a white Christmas, but a whiteout Christmas? You can have my share of it. I don't want it.
When ever I protest too much about the weather here in Wisconsin, people tell me to quit the whining and move to a more salubrious climate. But obviously that is not so easily done. This is where our home is. This is where we grew up. This is where our children grew up. This where all the memories were made. This is home. And even though we know that every year winter will bombard us with snow and cold, it just doesn't get any easier.

Actually I think that the whining and complaining about the weather makes it a bit easier to tolerate. When we encounter people out and about, all bundled up, heads hunched down into their coats, hats and gloves and scarves wrapped tightly to fight off the wind, we nod and smile knowingly at each other, convinced that we can survive anything that Nature throws our way. And when we do speak to each other, the weather and its ferocity is always the first topic past our chapped lips. So allow me my whining. Allow me my complaining. Allow me to survive the harshest of seasons with a little tolerance for my intolerance of the conditions outside.

After all, this too shall pass. Then when summer arrives all the complaining about the cold will be forgotten in the whining about the goddamn heat and humidity.

No comments: