Wednesday, March 04, 2009

getting caught up

I’ve been so busy the past few weeks in the workshop that I’ve barely noticed the accumulated snow disappearing more and more each day. I haven’t been out of the house much, other than a few routine errands, because at this time of year there is nothing to do outside besides coping with the occasional overnight dusting of snow. Nowhere to go and nothing much to do out there means I don’t feel guilty about spending most of the day in the workshop.

So it’s time to get caught up on the stuff coming out of the shop. I’ll post some pictures here, but if you want to see more you can click on “gallery” in the sidebar and get a comprehensive look at all my work.

This wall sculpture piece is called Holy Smoke. Read into it what you will.


This set of boxes is the result of an exercise in making wooden hinges for the box lids. It’s a bit more complicated than you might think. The finished pieces turned out well and the hinges work the way hinges are supposed to. Details and dimensions are with the “gallery” pictures.



While hoping for Spring to come, I couldn’t help thinking about all the dandelions and lawn weeds I will have to battle once the growing season begins anew. So I created this “voodoo” replication so that I can feel in control. We’ll see how well it works in another month or two.




And this last item is the result of my first attempt ever at wood turning on a lathe. I took a wood turning class last Saturday at one of the local woodworking stores as an introduction to the process. I wanted to see if I had any aptitude for lathe work and whether I might enjoy expanding my creative horizons with a new skill. As you can see with the bowl I made in the class, aptitude is not a problem. For a first attempt, it is more than satisfactory. And I thoroughly enjoyed everything about the process. I think I am hooked. Now alI have to do is buy all the necessary equipment so that I can further pursue this newfound skill. It may be awhile before I’m able to make the financial commitment, but I will do my best to help spur the economy along the way to recovery.




So that brings us up to date on the current workshop output. I do have three other things in the works right now and you will get to see those in due time. Right now, it’s time to get back to work.

No comments: