Monday, January 11, 2010

winter doldrums

Now it’s time again for the winter doldrums to set in. The football season effectively ended yesterday when the Packers lost. College football is already a distant memory. Basketball tournament time is still a couple months away.
The icy temps outside are decidedly inhospitable. I haven’t ventured out of the house for nearly a week now. except to shovel and blow the 8+ inches of snow we got last week.

My sore back is making the most rudimentary human moves nearly impossible. I’m swallowing Advil by the fistful all day and adding a dose of Baclefen at night so I can get through the night without excessive screaming. The Parkinsons tremors are gettingmore and more difficult to control. Probably need a meds adjustment there.

Despite all my whining, I still manage to get into the workshop on a regular basis. If I didn’t have that I would almost certainly go crazy. Just spending a couple hours a day creating interesting and sometimes wonderfully beautiful things is the elixer that keeps me going.

I've beeb turning some bowls out of the remnants of a tree that was cut down at the cottage a couple years ago. I don’t know the species of tree. The logs have been lying in a pile outside ever since the tree was cut and the wood has weathered and decayed with the help of ants and other intruders into some interesting figures and grains and patterns. The pieces are a challenge to turn because of the extensive rotting that has occurred. The resulting bowls have a wonderfully primitive quality to them. Here are some pictures of those bowls.






I still have about a dozen usable chunks of that tree still to play with, so at least I have that to take my mind off the nastiness of the winter season.

No comments: