Tuesday, May 18, 2010

mission accomplished

Mission accomplished. Yesterday was colonoscopy day. I got through it before I realized what was happening.

They make it so easy for people to get this done that there is really no excuse for avoiding it anymore. I had to get up very early (6 AM) to finish drinking the half gallon of cleansing prep and flushing myself out one more time to make sure that the old colon was sparkling clean. I arrived at the endoscopy office at 9:30, an hour before my scheduled procedure as I was told to do. After a bit of the usual paperwork I was led into the prep room, given a bed, got undressed and put on two of those embarrassingly flimsy robes, one on backward and one on frontward, then had a iv tube inserted in my arm for the happy juice to flow through. Then I lay on the bed dozing for a few minutes when the doctor came by and reassured me that this was really going to happen and that there was nothing to worry about. Then my bed with me on it was rolled into the room where this business was taken care of. The iv with the good stuff was started and before I knew it I was waking up in the recovery room. Never felt a thing.

Mary and the recovery room nurse had to help me get dressed since I was a bit groggy and my PD meds weren’t working yet. But that was accomplished with little fuss. The nurse then helped Mary walk me out to the car, one on each arm holding me erect while I did my best to shuffle along. The first thing I did when we got home was swallow some levodopa to get my body back to some kind of working order. The second thing I did was start to eat anything within reach. I was starving from having to fast for the day and a half before and I was in no mood to be denied food. I don’t know what it is I ate, but I ate a lot of it. Then, just as the nurse told me I would, I crashed and took a two hour nap. That rid my body of the remaining sedative and gave the PD meds time to kick in. When I woke up I good as new. Or as close to normal that I am allowed to get.

So, all in all, the whole thing went smoothly without a hitch. The doctor gave me a clean bill of health which is the important thing. That gives some peace of mind. So now I am good for another ten thousand miles or five years, whichever comes first.

I really encourage everyone to have this done. Colon cancer is a horrible thing to suffer and it is preventable with the proper early screening. If my mother had had it done, she might be alive today. So if you are fifty years old or older, don’t hesitate to schedule a colonoscopy. Do yourself and your family a favor. Mary has scheduled hers for next month. You should do the same.

No comments: