Thursday, March 10, 2011

she's home

After 3 days in the hospital following her bypass surgery on Monday, Mary is home. Already. I am amazed that she has progressed so far so fast. On Monday when I saw her right after the surgery was done, I had a difficult time believing she would ever recover from such a massive trauma. And on Tuesday the day after she seemed even worse. The pain she was experiencing
was unbelievable. But gradually, hour by hour and even minute by minute, she improved. When she started to organize the hospital staff I knew the worst was over and she was returning to normal.

Now she is home and able to walk around and get up and down the stairs and resume some easy activities. I know she is approaching normalcy because she already has a list of chores for me to do. I might actually do some of them just because I'm so grateful to have her back. The most difficult task though will be getting her to take it easy and not try to do too much too soon.

The tremendous trauma she has endured has given us a new appreciation for life and our time together. Now we are convinced that we will have many more years of to-do lists.

No comments: