Monday, April 01, 2013

still ringing


It’s been over a week now since my ears were pressurized by the the plane ride home from California.  In that time the ringing in my ears has continued unabated.  Despite a visit to the doctor last Monday, who prescribed an antibiotic to fight off any infection and Mucinex to help get the mucus out of my ears, I don’t feel much better.  I fear that some permanent damage has been done and that I will never be able to hear as well as i used to.  

This experience with hearing loss gives me a greater appreciation for what those who suffer deafness or near total loss of hearing.  Over the past week I have looked on in ignorance of the conversations occurring around me.  My wife has had to repeat herself over and over not always realizing that the blank look I was giving her was because I had no idea what she was saying.  The television sound has been amped up to wall shaking levels.  And I can’t tell how loud I am talking since the sound of my voice echoes and bounces around in my head and sounds to me like a chorus of babbling idiots fighting for attention.  

Several times during the past week my ears have “popped” giving me hope that soon all that congestion will ease and I will get back to normal.  Until that happens all I can do is wait and hope.  And repair the cracks in the walls.

No comments: