Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Florida color

It suddenly hit me today while we were driving on Gulf blvd returning to Clearwater from St. Petersburg and our date with Salvador Dali at his place, why all the beach front resorts along the gulf coast are painted such washed out, dull, insipid shades of pastels.  
It has to be the air in this part of the world. Florida, being a peninsula with water defining its east and west and south coasts, has air heavy with moisture. The relative humidity in this part of the world is close to off the charts. My theory is that all that moist air flowing around those buildings is scrubbing the color right off of the walls.
I can think of no other explanation for the proliferation of bad taste that dominates the architecture around here.
I can think of no other explanation for the proliferation of bad taste that dominates the architecture around here.


No self-respecting architect or designer would choose such an insipid palette to finish off his building. If that isn't the reason for the eye wash that passes for paint around here, then I challenge you to find a more plausible explanation. 
The only other thing that seems even remotely possible is that somewhere there is a supreme arbiter of color who chooses the palette that he will accept to cover the buildings within his purview. If such a being exists, I don't want to live in or pass through his domain anymore. My brain turns to mush when I get overloaded on pastels. And right now my brain is sloshing around in my head.

No comments: