Friday, March 13, 2015

walking



While walking from shop to shop downtown (actually Mary was doing the walking and shopping from shop to shop. I was doing the shuffling and bench sitting from shop to shop) I was particularly enjoying all the pithy sayings, aphorisms, puns, wisecracks, jokes, advice, and other general nonsense that was printed, embroidered, carved, etched, chiseled, appliqu├ęd, or somehow attached to the various wooden objects, stones, cups, plaques, pillows, t-shirts, signs, statues, knickknacks, beach towels, and any other surface that was available to the tchotchke maker. Someone is losing a lot of sleep at night by spending valuable time thinking up this stuff. I shouldn't care who is responsible for the production of all this lower cast landfill material or how this closet clutter is created. I could be less concerned about those who buy this detritus except for my dismay at the unmistakeable ratcheting sound of the collective IQ plummeting lower with each sale.
Still, given my anti-stupidstuff stance, I have to admit to getting a laugh or two as I tried to disassociate myself from the crowd on the sidewalk. But funny is funny. One of my favorites seen today:  Marriage is like a deck of cards. At first it is all hearts and diamonds, but later it's about clubs and spades."Or how about Mary's favorite seen on a restaurant:"Shirt and shoes required. Bras and panties optional."And no, I don't think I lost any gray matter reading and laughing at those.

No comments: