Monday, April 13, 2015

there really is a DOG

Lately I've been feeling like that dyslexic agnostic insomniac who stays awake all night wondering if there really is a DOG. Well, as it turns out, all my doubting and worrying was for naught. There really was a dog for me (us) after all. He was just sitting there patiently waiting for us to find him at the dog rescue sight in an industrial park not far from downtown Mukwonago. Sonny was his name there, and Sonny it still is now that we fell in love with him the second we laid eyes on him. 

He is a one year old terrier mix (Jack Russell and Rat Terrier would be my guess) with a little bit of Beagle stirred into the mix. So far he seems to exhibit atypical terrier behavior--I haven't heard him bark or make any kind of sound yet, he hasn't jumped up on me or tried to hump the table leg, he is very laid back and has made himself right at home. He answers to his name when you talk to him, although he seems to do so just to be polite and not appear ungrateful for our taking him into our home and feeding him, providing a nice comfy bed to lounge on, and all the doting praise we lavish on his cute little ass. 
As cute as he is , and as calm and laid back as The Dude in the Big Labowski (I wanted to name him Dude), the real reason I connected with him was the eerily mirroring of our health circumstances over the past year. Some kind of trauma or illness that no Vet was able to diagnose caused him to lose a lot of weight, leaving him looking emaciated, starved and not likely to survive until his next birthday. The people who rescued him say he was acting depressed and uninterested, lethargic and weak, but was beginning to show improvement lately. I, too, had such a year. No doctor, and I saw a lot of them, was able to come up with a plausible explanation for my loss of 32 pounds over the past 9-10 months. Losing nearly 20% of my body weight should have been considered life-threatening. But no one knew what to do about it. I was looking like a refugee from a zombie movie. I was weak and lethargic and depressed, too. But now we both are on special diets that are supposed to help us gain back those lost pounds and muscle. We are both getting stronger. And we are both gaining back an interest in living awhile longer. 
Maybe there really is a DOG that put us together. I look at Sonny and I am inspired by that little dog's toughness. We have a lot of similarities and by seeing him survive and improve, I know that I, too, can do it. But I promise not to hump the table leg no matter how well I'm feeling.

No comments: